How to Set Up a Self-Hosted WordPress Blog.
Understanding a domain name.
A domain name is basically the distinctive address of your blog on the web. Typing or pasting a domain name in a browser’s address bar directs you to the relevant blog.
Types of domain names.
Be it the popular dotcom or .us, .co.uk domain extensions, a domain name serves as your physical address.
How to select the right domain name.
Your domain name will determine how you stand out in the market, as your blog visitors will most likely associate it with you. Choose a proper name for your blog.
Here’s how to choose the best name for your domain.
- Ensure your proposed domain name is unique by conducting an online search for any sites that share the same name. Avoid popular or wrongly spelt versions of popular domain names.
- Go for names that will be easy to remember. You’ll lose online visitors to other sites in the event you register a complicated domain name.
Go for a dot com extension
- A dot-com extension is the most popular with a majority of bloggers. It is the easiest to remember
Select the name of your brand.
- Most bloggers kill two birds with one stone- let your online visitors easily tell your brand by simply reading your domain name.
Keep it simple.
- Make your domain name simple and concise for easy remembrance.
- Violation of trademarks may lead to unpleasant sanctions against your blog. Perform an online search to check whether similar domain names exist before registering.
The format of your name properly
- Avoid using numbers or hyphens as it will most probably confuse your online visitors. Let the name speak for itself.
Focus on your ultimate goal
- Choose a domain name that focuses on your ultimate goal. Avoid trendy names as they are short-lived.
Choose a long-term name
- As discussed earlier, your future goal should be the cornerstone of your name choice. You don’t want to keep changing your domain name now and then.
Check social networks
- A simple search on all major social networks for your domain name will reveal whether it’s available
Understanding Web hosting?
Web hosting involves acquiring the right to keep your files and documents for online accessibility in your community. Given the option, a self-hosted plan is the better option.
Choosing your web hosting provider
Choosing the best and reliable web hosting provider is crucial to your blogging success. You don’t want to get stuck along the way so choose your provider wisely.
Here’s what to look out for;
- Find out whether your web hosting provider offers online database support or backups for your website?
- A stitch in time saves nine. Before you sign up to any web host, check for the contact details, testimonials and any other relevant information about the company.
Do they offer a money-back guarantee?
- Confirm whether you can get your money back in the event of a misrepresentation of fact or failure to live up to their promise.
Are you able to integrate into popular CMS (content management system), such as WordPress?
- Web hosting providers with franchise arrangement with popular CMS platforms offer extra privileges like quick install interface.
Do they offer email accounts for your blog?
- The more emails accounts, the wider your reach.
Stay on budget.
- Check for subscription and renewal fees.
Do they offer extra security from hackers?
Compare third-party security back up fees and choose the better option.
How to set up your Blog
- Get a domain & register for hosting
- Install WordPress CMS
- Publish Content
Before you set up your blog, make sure you have a clear and long-term vision.
Check whether your blogging subject is viable.
- Use a keyword research tool to search for the most competitive niche. Take a unique perspective on the subject.
- Some of the online jargon may be intimidating at first, but take heart. Following this step by step procedure will go a long way to help you become a master blogger in no time.
Are you a startup and wondering whether you can really do it by yourself?
- Don’t worry. This easy to follow step by step procedure will make sure you are up and running within no time.
Don’t be in hurry.
- It takes time to become a master blogger so hold your guts. Create a publishing schedule for your posts so you can get some time off writing.
Own your blog.
Setting up a self-hosted plan comes with many advantages. Besides having great control over the type of content to share and the people you share with, a self-hosted plan shows professionalism. However, if you need any help like running an online shop, paid hosting is the most reliable option.
Kudos! You now have your blog set up, time to learn more about WordPress dashboard